Here is my Bucket List of places I’d like to visit in my lifetime. I don’t think I’ll ever have enough time or money to cross off everything from this list, however I will never cease adding to this collection of dreams.
- Visit Cabri, Saskatchewan — the town where my paternal grandmother’s family settled when they immigrated to Canada from Oban, Scotland.
- Travel to the Canadian North.
- Drive the Trans-Canada highway from the Atlantic to the Pacific.
- Ride a motorcycle through the Canadian Rockies.
- Visit Haida Gwaii/Queen Charlotte Islands of British Columbia and find a Spirit Bear.
- Stay at Shadow Lake Lodge in Banff, Alberta (this place is so remote you have to hike 14 kilometers off the Trans-Canada Highway just to get to it).
- Camp in Kouchibouguac National Park, New Brunswick, and swim in the warmest salt water north of Virginia.
Visit the Bay of Fundy and witness the dramatic tidal changes. *Completed in August 2015*
- Take the ferry from Souris, PEI to Les Îles-de-la-Madeleine on the Gulf of St. Lawrence.
- See all of Prince Edward Island.
Take the ferry from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland. *Completed in August 2015* Explore Gros Morne National Park in Newfoundland. *Completed in August 2015* Walk in the footsteps of Vikings and visit L’Anse aux Meadows UNESCO World Heritage Site in Newfoundland. *Completed in August 2015*
- Take the ferry to Big Tancook Island, Nova Scotia.
- Somehow get to remote Sable Island, Nova Scotia, and spend time with its herd of wild horses.
- Drive the Pacific Coast Highway in Cali and allow myself time to stop and read some Steinbeck and Kerouac along the way.
- Be a spectator at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City.
- Get a tattoo in the Bowery neighbourhood of New York City, which is where the modern day tattoo machine was invented by Samuel O’Reilly in 1891.
- See the New Orleans Saints play at the Superdome.
- See the NY Giants play at the MetLife Stadium.
- Visit Kangaamiut, Greenland, to see the multi-coloured houses of the small village that remind me of Monopoly game pieces.
- Spend time at a turtle sanctuary in Costa Rica.
- Visit the Corn Islands of Nicaragua’s Caribbean coast.
- Take the ferry to Taboga Island, Panama.
- Hike the Incan Trail to Machu Picchu.
- Go to the Galapagos Islands.
- Go back to Karanambu Lodge on the Rupununi River in Guyana and meet Diane McTurk’s giant river otters.
- Go to Bolivia.
- Go on the Jolly Roger in Barbados.
- Take a cruise through the Grenadines.
- Rent a beach house on Bequia – my cousin Paul put this idea in my head a number of years ago and we revisit it whenever we’re liming and daydreaming.
- Find Calziebohalize, the farming settlement in Scotland’s Stirlingshire that was home to my paternal grandfather’s family 230 years ago.
- Visit Oban, the Scottish city that my paternal grandmother’s family originated from.
- Travel around the Scottish Hebrides, particularly the Isle of Skye (check this out).
- Seek out Viking settlements in Scotland.
- Drive around the entirety of Ireland.
- Take the ferry to the Isle of Man.
- Get a tattoo from Adam Sage at Into You Tattoo in Brighton, England.
- I’m a sucker for boats, which is why the English Channel/Bay of Biscay/Celtic Sea is perfect for me because of the huge network of ferries sailing from Ireland and England to France and Spain – I’d like to take as many of these as I can.
- Hike the Camino Frances route of the Camino de Santiago through Spain *Completed in March 2014*
- Hike the Camino Portugués route of the Camino de Santiago through Portugal to Santiago de Compostela, Spain.
- Take an extended tour of Italy, from the very north down to the southern tip (including Sicily).
- See the Northern Lights in Norway.
- Complete a full tour of Switzerland.
- Visit Madeira and research my maternal lineage.
- Make a third attempt at tackling Paris, and doing it right.
- Climb up to the Chapel of St Michael d’ Aiguilhe in Puy-en-Velay, Auvergne, France.
Walk along the remains of the Berlin Wall.*Completed in March 2015* Walk across the Charles Bridge in Prague.*Completed in April 2015* Visit Prague’s Old City Hall, dating back to the 15-century.*Completed in April 2015* See the Danube River.*Completed in March 2015* Walk across the Chain Bridge, the first span to permanently connect the cities of Buda and Pest, Hungary.*Completed in March 2015*
- Visit the Rila Monastery in Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Visit the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul.
- Visit the ancient city of Troy in Turkey.
- Visit the abandoned commune and medieval village of Craco in southeastern Italy.
- Go to the Channel Islands.
- Visit the Canary Islands.
- Discover all of Andalusia, Spain (Seville, Granada, Córdoba, Malaga, Cádiz, Tarifa).
- Take the ferry from Spain into Morocco.
- Greece, especially walking the ancient ruins in Athens and dedicating time to Santorini.
- Morocco — Marrakesh, Casablanca, Rabat, Tangier.
- Go to Madagascar.
- Discover the beautiful islands of the Seychelles.
- See all there is to see of the ancient Egyptian ruins.
- Witness the Great Migration of the Serengeti.
- Visit the ancient city of Petra in Jordan.
- Take the Trans-Siberian Railway.
- Take the Sky Road train to Tibet.
- Discover all of Nepal.
- Experience the life of Mongolian nomads.
- See as much of Japan as I can.
- Walk the Great Wall of China.
- Get into North Korea.
- Island-hop throughout Hawaii with special time devoted to Kauai, Oahu and the Big Island, so I can pay tribute to three of my favourite things:
- My favourite movie, The Descendants, which is basically a tribute to Kauai.
- My favourite tattoo artist, my man Sailor Jerry (aka Norman Collins) who’s buried in Honolulu. The shop he opened in Honolulu’s Chinatown still has a functional tattoo parlour on site — Old Ironside Tattoo. Obviously, I’d have to get a tattoo as well.
- My favourite explorer, Captain James Cook, the first European to make contact with the eastern coastline of Australia, the Cook Islands and Hawaii. During his third visit to Hawaii in February of 1779, he was killed during an uprising with the natives. A memorial monument stands in his honour on Kealakelua Bay, the Big Island.
- Visit Easter Island and walk amongst the moai.
- Take the Indian Pacific Railway across Australia.
- Travel through the Australian Outback to visit the world’s largest monolith, Uluru.
- Swim with humpback whales in Tonga.
- Island-hop throughout the South Pacific — actually, I’d like to see as much of the South Pacific as possible. I love reading about the travels of Captain James Cook, so if I could also navigate it all on a tall ship like him, that would be life-changing.
- I’ve been told by a co-worker that New Zealand is “God’s Country”. I’d like to see it one day.
As many places on this UNESCO World Heritage List as possible.