Sam and I randomly met at a party this past summer. We were celebrating our friend’s birthday, chilling on the patio with some bevies, enjoying the summer night air. Then we started talking about travel, and I realized I had an experienced traveller in my presence.
I could immediately tell that Sam had a passion for Italy, having spent some time living in the country. We talked about the Amalfi Coast and Sorrento, and it made me so wanderlust that I was ready to book a ticket right then and there.
1. What countries have you visited? Australia, Italy, Spain, England, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Mexico, Jamaica, The Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, USA.
2. What is your favourite place to visit? Italy – the diversity of landscapes, wonderful art and architecture, and unbelievable food makes it a must go destination for anyone in the world
3. What’s one thing you’ve learned from your travels? Always respect that you are in someone else’s homeland. Learn their customs and adapt accordingly. Ethnocentrism will only get you in trouble.
4. What’s one thing you must always bring with you on a trip? Duct Tape – It’s amazing how useful that magical tape is!
5. What are the top three destinations on your travel bucket list? Peru, Turkey and The Maldives
6. What’s the craziest thing to have happened to you while on a trip? I found out after a few weeks of working at the Coliseum in Rome that my bosses were mafiaso and controlled most of the business in and around the area. One day I was stopped by the Carabinieri for working illegally and detained in their van. My boss spoke to the officer for a few minutes and I was let go. Turns out the officer was a rookie and wasn’t aware of the chain of bribes that allowed me to work unscathed.